I recently read an article by Homemade Naturally giving some great tips for using vinegar and baking soda as cleaning agents in the house as an alternative to bleach and chemicals. I knew some of the tips but I’m looking forward to trying some of the ideas I learned from this blog. For example, to disinfect my wooden cutting board I could use baking soda and vinegar! So simple and so much better than anything else you could do! I love it.
Pertaining to the health world I have heard of a few great claims for vinegar myself. For one, you can soak a rag with vinegar and leave it on a sunburn. The acidity draws heat away from the burn. We didn’t believe it at first but tried it in Hawaii. We were shocked when it actually worked!
The use of vinegar in the health industry is a huge slew of claims. Some people believe that apple cider vinegar will help with cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, and other ailments. While there isn’t a ton of information regarding the use of it the claims aren’t entirely incorrect.
- Use Apple cider vinegar to cook food instead of butter and oil. My favorite is an apple cider vinegar asparagus. I cook it right in the pan with a nice portion of apple cider vinegar and a sprinkle of black pepper. The result is healthier than using butter, it’s easy, and best of all, it’s delicious.
- This will help reduce cholesterol….less butter!
- Apple cider vinegar is acidic (duh). The acidic properties help us absorb some important nutrients. While the vinegar itself is low on nutrients it will help your body absorb calcium from your meal. Take a shot of vinegar before you eat (or dilute in water a bit).
- Apple cider vinegar has been said to aid in weight loss and diabetes control. There are some studies that suggest vinegar deactivates some digestive enzymes resulting in a slower release of sugar into the bloodstream. This is especially useful for people with Type II diabetes.
- We can also wash some of our fruits and veggies with a vinegar solution to remove harmful pesticides. Just a 10% solution will do the trick (1 cup vinegar in 9 cups of water). Some people use a 1:3 solution.
- Vinegar also works with heartburn. If you’re suffering from heartburn take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, chase it with some water if you need to. It’s amazing how quickly the burn goes away.